Yesterday in my Sunday School class our teacher spoke about the scriptures that most pastors will ignore or skip over...I was like oooooooh what is he talking about? He said Judges 11 & 19, Deuteronomy 6&7 and Joshua 6. He talked about how many non-believers look at these and say no way am I believing in your God cause look.
So this morning I read them all and well they are horrible. Very sad. However what I took away from these was that Sin has horrific consequences. In all these stories, you might see hate..however I see God taking care of his people. Turn on the news. What do you see? Horrible things right? God put these scriptures in the Bible to show us that back in the day things were not perfect and well they still aren't today. These scriptures are here for us to learn from them and to show us the the truth is always revealed and that God is always in control!
In Judges 19, a young lady is raped but if you keep on reading into Ch 20 they end up going to war over this. And they killed 25,100 people. Because of this horrific crime. God put this in the Bible to show us that our sin has consequences.
In Judges 11, a daughter in killed by her father. Jephthah (father) did this because he told God he would sacrifice whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return. He was at war and needed God's help. His daughter was the first one out the door to greet him. And she understood.
Joshua 6, is the story that we all know...but its the last few scriptures that we don't know about. Marching around the walls to make it fall, when it fell they went in and killed men and woman, young and old and all animals. God told them to do this.
Deuteronomy 6 &7, is about the seven nations that were needing to be destroyed. They were not following by God's rules.
We know that today we wouldn't do the things that some did in the Bible. I wouldn't sacrifice my oldest son because God does require us to abide by the rules that are here on earth as well. So if you are a new christian or not a christian at all...don't look at these verses and run. Look at them and apply them to your life. When reading it, ask questions like What truth is being revealed? What rebellion is exposed? What correction can be made? How can I explain it?
And you will get through it!! God is good, all the time and all the time, God is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment